30 Oct Employee Benefit Plan Limits for 2021
Many employee benefits are subject to annual dollar limits that are periodically updated for inflation by the IRS. The following commonly offered employee benefits are subject to these limits:
• High deductible health plans (HDHPs) and health savings accounts (HSAs);
• Health flexible spending accounts (FSAs);
• 401(k) plans; and
• Transportation fringe benefit plans.
The IRS typically announces the dollar limits that will apply for the next calendar year well in advance of the beginning of that year. This gives employers time to update their plan designs and make sure their plan administration will be consistent with the new limits.
This Compliance Overview includes a chart of the inflation-adjusted limits for 2021. Although some of the limits will increase, most of the limits remain the same for 2021.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
• Revenue Procedure 2020-32: 2021 limits for HSAs and HDHPs
• IRS Notice 2020-79: 2021 limits for retirement plans
• Revenue Procedure 2020-45: 2021 limits for health FSAs, adoption assistance and
transportation fringe benefits
• HSA contributions
• HDHP out-of-pocket maximum limit
• Tax exclusion for adoption assistance benefits
• Tax exclusion for dependent care FSA benefits
• Catch-up contributions to an HSA
• HDHP minimum deductible
• Health FSA limit for employee pre- tax contributions
• Health FSA carryover limit
• Monthly limits for transportation fringe benefit plans
• Employees’ elective deferrals to 401(k) plans, pre-tax and Roth
• Catch-up contributions to a 401(k) plan
*Not subject to annual adjustment for inflation
This Compliance Overview is not intended to be exhaustive nor should any discussion or opinions be construed as legal advice. Readers should contact legal counsel for legal advice. ©2019-2020 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.
More like this:
2021 Open Enrollment Checklist - ResecōPosted at 19:39h, 10 November
[…] The ACA set the health FSA contribution limit at $2,500. For years after 2013, the dollar limit is indexed for cost-of-living adjustments. For 2020 plan years, the health FSA limit is $2,750. The IRS has not yet announced the health FSA limit for 2021 plan years. Updated October 30th 2020 with health limits. […]